One of the biggest problems of modern society when it comes to health is that too many of us have livers that are constantly over-processed. We eat too many fried foods or processed foods, while at the same time; we expose our bodies to stress and environmental pollutants. This overworks the liver and it becomes overloaded with tasks to eliminate the toxins.
Fortunately, there are many different foods that can cleanse the liver by helping it to stimulate its natural affiliation for cleaning waste from the body. These include the following:
- Garlic. It only takes a little bit of this strong smelling clove to activate the natural liver enzymes that help flush away toxins form the body. Garlic is high in selenium and allicin—both of which are compounds that help in liver cleansing.
- Grapefruit. Grapefruit is high in antioxidants and vitamin C. It raises the cleansing processes of your liver so it can clean out toxins. All you need is a glass of grapefruit juice in order to increase the level of detoxification enzymes in the liver so that carcinogens can be flushed out along with the many toxins in our bodies.
- Carrots and beets. These foods are high in flavonoids and in beta-carotene. The stimulate the cleansing properties of the liver so it can rid the body of toxins.
- Green tea. This contains a great deal of catechins, which help the liver work better. It is a tasty beverage and adds a great deal to your health.
- Leafy green veggies. These can be eaten juiced, cooked, or plain (raw) for better liver cleansing. They are all high in chlorophyll that is known to soak up environmental toxins from the bloodstream so the liver doesn’t have to work so hard. Add greens like spinach leaves, mustard greens, arugula, dandelion greens, bitter gourd, or chicory to your diet for a variety of flavors. Your bile production and bile flow will be better and wastes will be flushed from the blood and other organs.
- Avocados. These squishy, fatty foods are truly a superfood. They make the body release glutathione, which is a compound that helps the liver clean out dangerous toxins.
- Apples. These contain a lot of pectin, which keeps the toxins in the digestive tract until it is time to have them be cleansed by the liver. This controls the toxin load in the liver during the detoxification process.
- Olive oil. Besides olive oil, you can make use of other cold pressed oils like flaxseed and hemp oil that are excellent for liver function as long as you don’t take in too much. They are lipids that soak up nasty toxins in the bloodstream so the liver doesn’t ever have to get overloaded.
- Alternative grains. These are especially good for you because they keep other gluten whole grains, like wheat and flour out of your diet. Good alternative grains include buckwheat, millet, and quinoa. Grains that have a lot of gluten in them are toxic for your liver and you don’t need them. People who have gluten insensitivity also have liver enzymes that are out of whack, so it can’t be good for you. Try eating gluten free grains.
- 10.Cruciferous Veggies. Cauliflower and broccoli are two cruciferous vegetables you should consider. They increase the content of glucosinolate in the body, which aids the production of liver enzymes. These are enzymes that will help you flush away toxins and carcinogens from the body, which can decrease your chances of getting cancer.
Other Liver-Friendly Foods
Other foods your liver needs to function better include limes, lemons, walnuts, turmeric, and cabbage.