10 Signs You May Be Gluten Intolerant
Gluten intolerance is common these days. In fact, it is rightly said that the majority of the diseases and undesirable health conditions are associated with gluten which is a kind of protein present in barley, rye, and wheat. It is often considered that gluten intolerance is hard to recognize. According to an estimate, over 95 percent of the people affected by celiac disease or gluten intolerance are not diagnosed in their entire life. Besides, some studies found that over 15 percent of the total American population is intolerant to Gluten. Who knows, you could be one of them.
I don’t mean to scare you, but you must be aware of the symptoms that indicate intolerance to gluten so that you can consult a health professional timely.
Following are the most commonly occurring symptoms of Gluten intolerance. Take a look and immediately consult your doctor if you have any one or more of these symptoms.
- Majority of the digestive problems often result due to gluten intolerance. Mainly, in little kids, I found numerous cases where they experienced constipation because of eating gluten. Some other digestive problems that can occur in people include bloating, gas and diarrhea.
- Keratosis Pilaris is also an indication of gluten intolerance. It is a condition which is also commonly known as chicken skin, and it usually occurs at the back side of the arms. The primary cause of this skin condition is the lack of vitamin and fatty acid in the body. Their deficiency usually arises because of the malabsorption of fats which is a result of gluten affecting gut’s functional efficiency.
- Another prominent symptom is feeling tired or fatigued after consuming gluten containing food items. You can also experience brain fog and lack of concentration.
- You might be amazed to know that several autoimmune disorders also indicate the presence of gluten intolerance. Some of these diseases include Lupus, Ulcerative Colitis, Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, Multiple Sclerosis, Psoriasis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Scleroderma, etc. Thus, if you are diagnosed with any of these diseases, there is a possibility that you might be intolerant to gluten.
- The gluten intolerance also has some neurological signs. For instance, if your body has an intolerance for gluten, you may experience dizziness and lack of focus after eating gluten-containing food.
- One of the most common symptoms found in women is a hormonal imbalance. If you have PCOS or PMS, chances are that you are intolerant to gluten. Besides, unexplained infertility also indicates the same.
- Migraine headache is also often caused because of intolerance to gluten. Although many other reasons can also contribute to causing migraine if you frequently experience it after eating some gluten-containing meals, it indicates your intolerance.
- In addition to other undesirable conditions, fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue also suggests that you are intolerant to gluten. If you often feel low or down after having gluten containing meals, your body might be intolerant to gluten.
- Another frequently occurring sign is the inflammation which leads to pain and swelling in different joint including knees, fingers, and hips.
- Lastly, rapid mood swings, anxiety, and depression also indicate intolerance to gluten. Keep an eye on your moods after eating some gluten-containing foods. If you experience
How to cure gluten Intolerance?
If you found any of the symptoms as mentioned above, do consult a medical professional timely. The best way to avoid any severe reactions is to remove gluten from your diet. Make sure you eliminate all gluten-containing edible. Even a small amount of it in any form including medicine can trigger strong immune reactions. Therefore, it is better to say no to all gluten products.